Re: [ST] Dont let the bastards get you......

>From: iPat
>again leave your politics off list please, but if everyone went at the same
>speed there would be no bottlenecks. If you have ever driven with cruise
>control you become aware how people tend to drive in spurts. Ultimately,
>people drive fast to join the end of the next queue and it costs more in
>terms of petrol consumption, rubber and pollution.

Apologies about labeling policy to a political side, it's actually
a strong lobby of environmental organizations. I have nothing against
clean air, but we both agree that one constant speed would be the
best method of preventing jams and therefor more air polution. So
this method works if either all freeways would become slow-speed,
or retain their current speed limit. In both of those situations,
people still tend to drive in spurts when traffic queues up. So
wilfully creating traffic jams with bottlenecks is only making
matters worse in terms of traffic flow and environment, that's
what I don't like about it (nothing political there, right? :-)).
So I'm talking about the 80km/h stretches, not so much the controlled
stretches by themselves. When it's busy nobody can get to the speed
limit anyway, but outside peak hours you'll still be checked.

Solution would be to link all cars together and call it a train :-).

>The French have been doing that for over 15 years, previously based
>on the policemans judgement.

French policemen actually minding speeding motorcyclists? That's
new to me. I know they've strongly adjusted their policies in the
last few years. I guess I have ridden on unchecked toll stretches
in the past, I thought it was something recent.

I wonder how many years until we all need to have GPS linked boxes
in each vehicle that control our speed electronically or fine
automatically. It won't solve anything about traffic jams though,
only less cars, more roads, spread of worktimes, home-working
and better public transport can do something about that IMHO.

Emile
www.piloot.com