Re: [ST] st Digest, Vol 13, Issue 34

>From the service manual:

- Remove the rear wheel
- Remove the rear brake hose cover from the upper chain guard, then remove the chain guard
- Remove the lower chain guard
- Without disconnecting the brake hose, detach then support the rear brake caliper
- Slacken the swinging arm / hub pinch bolt
- Use the "C" spanner from the motorcycle tool kit to turn the hub and slacken the drive chain
- De-stake then slacken the nut securing the final drive unit to the axle shaft
- Remove the staked nut (discard the nut), belleville and stepped washers from the axle shaft
- Pull the axle shaft through the hub to the right hand side such that the shaft clears the final drive assembly.  Remove the final drive unit disconnecting the chain at the same time
NOTE: collect the spacer fitted between the final drive and the axle bearing carrier/eccentric adjuster
- Placee the axle shaft/brake disc assembly to one side
- Remove the large circlip securing the caliper carrier to the swinging arm and detach the carrier
- Remove the axle bearing carrier/eccentric adjuster from the left hand side of the swinging arm.

If you get this far and want to proceed (or really are going to undertake this), I will write-up and installation procedure as well.  I can also scan these pages for you if you want.  The pictures help identify the components the service manual is referring to.

Matt Heyer

----- Original Message ----
From: Paul H Sammut <phsammut@xxxxxxxx>
To: st@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 9:18:16 PM
Subject: Re: [ST] st Digest, Vol 13, Issue 34

OK chaps, am I doing something wrong?  I decided to check the rear wheel
bearings on my 2001 ST (23,000 miles) since I was replacing the chain and
sprockets.  The Haynes manual describes removal of the rear wheel by
removing the spring clip and then the large nut from the right side of the
wheel.  Easy enough and the wheel was then removed, but leaving the hub and
cush drive attached to the swing arm.  When describing how to get at the
bearings, it says to remove the hub from the wheel and refers you to the
previous section on how to remove the wheel!

Well, I've tried undoing the large (same-sized) nut on the left
(drive-chain) side, but, even using a 24 inch-long, 3/4 inch driver with
appropriate socket, I can't get it to budge.  I see no circlip or
spring-clip on this side.  Anyone have ideas apart from using a breaker-bar
(which I will do once I'm reassured I haven't missed anything.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Paul S.