[ST] Where is the mileage stored?

Is the mileage that is one the speedometer held in the ECU memory or is it
in the circuit board that is part of the speedometer housing?

After reading the Haynes manual and the Service Manual I'm starting to thing
it is stored in the ECU.  The reason I'm asking this question is my
speedometer was busted up in the wreck I had last October and now that I'm
replacing it will I have a different mileage on the speedometer?

Lindley

P.S. I only need one more piece of plastic (it's the piece that goes in
between the headlights) to have a complete motorcycle again.  If anyone
knows where I can get my hands on this last piece other then paying a dealer
$170 I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks