Re: [ST] The art of Tunnel Tooter Testing

Holy hell.  What the hell is all of this.  I actually got out on the bike and road twisties for 10 hours today.  Now that is what a motorcycle is for.

MAH

----- Original Message ----
From: Markus Clarijs <daftspeed@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ST triumphnet <st@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; motorisation@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, April 15, 2006 11:32:07 AM
Subject: [ST] The art of Tunnel Tooter Testing

Howdy!

  Since yesterday I'm a certified member of the Silly Horn Institute of Triumph Tunnel Tooter Testers (S.H.I.T.T.T.T.) . HOORAY
  However don't confuse it with the Suzuki Silly Horn Institute of Tunnel Tooter Testers (S.S.H.I.T.T.T.) That is not the real one off course, but there are actually people (can you really believe it?) who ride V-Stroms and stuff.
  And don't confuse it with the Netherlands Official Silly Horn Institute of Tunnel Tooter Testers (N.O.S.H.I.T.T.T.) They are only wannabees and still want to restrict it to regional testing, even in this era of internet and disappearing borders.

  Thank you Emile for helping me mount the thing under the fairing (and Ben and Marc for their moral support) and help me find some good testing ground.

  To explain more about this serious bussiness of TTT I can tell you about our strategies and company guidelines.
  Tunnel Tooter Testing can only be done in 1 way: Enhanced and Advanced Testing (E.A.T. S.H.I.T.T.T.T.)

  A good weapon in the battle of testing is the Stebel Nautilus. It has an output of 139 db(A) at 4 inch distance and 115 dB(A) at 2 meters distance (You should measure at 1 meter distance, but there is no data available; I guess it is about 120 dB(A) at 1m). Be sure you wire it up via a relais directly to your battery or else you will fry your cables. The standard Triumph horn has 2,5Amps this one 18 A. Frequency is between 530 and 680 Hz.

  a simple and short formula and some explanation:
  Lambda = v/f

  Lambda=wavelenght
  v=speed of sound
  f=frequency

  v as a function of pressure and density:
  v=((1.4*P)^(1/2)) / d
  v as a function of Temperature:
  v=332*((1+(T/273))^(1/2))  or v = 332 SQR(1+ 0.00366 T)

  So testing at 15 degrees centigrade makes the equasion as follows: v=332 SQR (1+0.0036*15) = 340m/s

  332 m/s is the speed of sound in normal air. Airpressure is not really an issue since sound is more like a wrinkle in the air. Temperature has only a minor influence on the speed of sound unless you are testing you tooter in a sauna.

  So testing the tooter at 15C makes lambda = 340/((530+680)/2) = 0,56m

  Note: The higher the frequency, the more easy a "standing wave" (acoustic resonance) can occur in a room.

  For this tooter, a good tunnel must have dimensions that are a x*0,56m. What we need is resonance..... Material doesn't matter, but size matters ! ! ! And reflection, reinforced concrete tunnels with smooth surfaces are perfect.
  So what you need is Deep Impact and Progress also referred to as D.I.P. S.H.I.T.T.T.T.

  Be aware there is a fine for unnecessary use of a tooter. Here it is 95 euro's. So allways test your tooter for a reason. Drawing attention of pretty women is a good reason but might not cover all your problems with the law. Being a member of the S.H.I.T.T.T.T. is a very good reason and no copper will ever fine you when you have the correct logo's displayed on your bike. If they ask you what you were doing just tell them E.A.T. S.H.I.T.T.T.T. and they will ease off with a smile on their face. All will be ok.

  It is also funny to see that there are people who look back after you have tested the tooter and are really surpised the noise came from a motorcycle. Just because they would have expected a train or a lorry approaching. Thus we call the real tooters Weapons of Mass Deception (W.M.D.) You can read a lot about W.M.D.'s in the newspapers again lately, but we know now where they are hidden. Not in Iran, but under the fairing and they only have the size of two coke-cans. It's really amazing!

  BTW Tunnels come in 5 acoustic categories:
  Class A / B / C / D / E or in numeric values 10 to 1
  where
  A= 10 - 9
  B= 8 - 7
  C= 6 - 5
  D= 4 - 3
  E= 2 - 1

  Advanced Tunnel Tooter Testers only refer to good tunnels of Cat A and B, the rest isn't interesting.

  Coming up next: a database of Tunnels, located in a GPS list with Categories so you can find your way in this scientifical chaos. This database and it's subdivisions is called the Federal Art of Random Tunnel Tooter Testing (F.A.R.T.T.T.)  Be prepared.....................

  Cheers, science made easy!
  and Hapy Easter!

  --Markus