Re: [ST] Counter Rotating Brakes

On 17 Apr 2006, at 16:59, Masiak, Richard wrote:

> Ok.  I give.  How exactly does one get the rotors to rotate in the
> opposite direct of the wheel and still stop the bike?
> If I interpret the title verbatim, I interpret counter rotating as
> meaning they're rotating counter the wheel direction, right?
>
> Unfortunately the article doesn't give specifics.

It is quite straightforward (I think).  Provided the discs are
connected to the wheel via some gearing system, if you brake the
rotors they will in turn brake the connecting gears and so on until
it reaches the wheels.  On a more abstract level, the purpose of
brakes is to extract energy from a dynamic system (that's why they
get hot in use) - usually swapping kinetic energy (bike going along)
for heat energy (brake discs get hot).  It is this energy transfer
that slows the bike down.  'Electric' brakes (vis Toyota Prius,
coaches etc.) work by replacing the disc brake by an electric
generator - you turn the kinetic energy into electricity.  'Air
brakes' turn kinetic energy into hotter air.  And so on.  The
direction the discs rotate in have nothing much to do with whether
this approach will work.  No more relevant than knowing which way
round one of the shafts in the gearbox rotates.  I guess I'd be more
concerned about the reliability of the gear transfer mechanism myself
- if that broke or seized you'd be in major trouble.  The nice thing
about disc brakes is that there is very little to go wrong...

Hope this helps.

Best regards

Gavin Lawrie