Re: [ST] Counter Rotating Brakes

Steve, from my airbrake test that I had to take to get my firefighter
driving license, I agree with you. Airbrakes are locked until the
system pressurizes. Our firetrucks are actually plugged into a
compressor when they're in the hall so the brakes are charged. It would
really suck for fire engines to have to charge the brakes before they
could respond.

The advantage of air brakes is that you can have springs that apply 100
lbs of pressure against the disk, but all your foot has to do is press
a valve open that releases the air, and then the brakes apply due to
the loss of pressure.

On Apr 17, 2006, at 10:18 AM, Steve Lawler wrote:

> In a previous email, Gavin Lawrie wrote:
>> 'Air brakes' turn kinetic energy into hotter air.
>
> ???
> I always assumed that air brakes used pressurized air to retract the
> pistons. Thus when you loose air pressure the wheels lock up. IIRC,
> back
> when I had my Class 2 license, on trucks equipped w/ air brakes I would
> have to let the pressure build up before I could release the parking
> brake.

Matt Knowles - Ferndale, CA -
http://www.knowlesville.com/matt/motorcycles
  '99 Sprint ST - for going fast and far (2CZUSA)
  '01 KLR650 (A15) - for exploring the North Coast backroads
  '97 KLX300 & '01 Lakota - for playing in the dirt
  '79 KZ400 - just because it was the first vehicle I ever owned