Re: [ST] Water Injection

I am a USAF-ORF(old retired fart) and flew mostly jets and turbo-props.
However, my dusty recollections of water injection in big
supercharged/turbo-charged recips indicate that the water was used to prevent detonation.
Essentially, it slowed the flame propagation and absorbed some of the excess heat by
converting the water to steam.  The net effect was to raise the "octane" rating
during maximum power applications like take-off power.

I hope that is a reasonably accuate explanation.

Steve Knudsen
'00 RS
Auburn, WA