[ST] Clutch return spring replacement

I've got a 2000 ST and I just noticed that the clutch return spring
(located on the clutch shaft just below where the cable connects) is
broken and no longer functioning. It seems like it isn't terribly
important as the actual clutch spring returns the clutch just fine.

Does anyone know any tricks for replacing it? It looks like the arm on top
of the shaft is permanantly riveted in place and the shaft itself doesn't
just slide out - so do I have to remove the clutch cover to get the shaft
out or is there something I'm missing?

Paul