Re: [ST] Emile discussion w/Rich (about counter rotating brakes)

It is still about counter rotating brakes, but a discussion between you and I.  I just kept it on the list in case others are following our jabber.

Now back to our clear as mud discussion:

<Emile wrote:>
Every bike has the front wheel turned towards the direction of the turn,
ONCE they are in the bank that is. Otherwise you wouldn't be turning (you'd
be falling). From straight up, initiating towards the desired lean angle,
the front wheel will initially be turned away from the desired turn direction
though...

Are you sure about that?  If I'm not mistaken, when I want to turn my bike left I push on my left handle bar.  Doesn't that in turn make the front wheel point to the right thus making the bike lean over to the left?

Now what you are saying, and I've seen other descriptions say the same, is that the bike is going in the direction pointed to by the front wheel.  But that contradicts the pushing on the left handle bar to turn left idea.  But I know that's exactly what I do.  So what am I missing here?

Consciously try it today.  Drive down the road at a safe speed and push on the left handle bar.  I'll bet the bike starts over left.  Push on the right handle bar.  I'll bet the bike starts over right.  Note the direction the front wheel is pointing.  I'll bet it's pointing opposite the turn/lean.