Re: [ST] ST avgas

I have to chime in here, maybe a little late, but I feel the need to warn you.
I have DESYTROYED a few o ring chains by cleaning them with diesel fuel.  I
used an oil drain pan with a quart of diesel fuel and a paint brush to clean my
chains.  Put the pan under the rear sprocket, and paint the hell out of the
chain as you turn the wheel.  The chains always came out sparkling new.
Problem is, it WILL get past the orings and then dissolve out the little bit of
lube that's inside the o rings.  Every chain I cleaned like this lasted only a
short while after doing so.  What will happen is that there will be a few links
here and there that will become stiff after the lube is gone and then it will
get hot and then stretch in a few places and then start to make noise and
vibration.  When I examined the chain, I could see the bad links as there would
always be dry brown powder all over the bad spots on the chain, which were also
kinked as they did not want to straighten back out after rounding the sprocket.
 This was rusty debris coming from the rollers inside the o rings.  These links
were indeed stiff and stretched.  I destroyed a few chains this way.  The last
time was at Deals Gap when the chain had to be replaced because it was making
so much vibration I couldn't stand it anymore, not to mention the excessive
heat build up.  I didn't trust it to get me home.  The mechanic who replaced it
for me asked me "if I'd been cleaning it with any solvents.  Cuz solvents will
do just that once they're past the orings."  Who me?  Of course not, why would
I be so stupid as to put any solvents on my permanently lubed roller chain?
Needless to say, I don't use solvents of any type to clean my chains anymore.
A rag soaked in wd40 cleans it nicely enough.

Cheers,
Jonathan West
95 Trophy 4
96 Super III