Re: [ST] Time to fix the front end

Progressive Springs can do things for you when you cannot properly adjust damping.  With the damping sorted (and adjustable), I would go with a straight-rate spring.  The rebound and compression damping are adjustable with the Race-tech solution, although not as easily as it could be (i.e. you don't want to be changing the damping between rides, or every week or two, etc).  The damping with the Race-tech solution is controlled by the emulator and the oil weight - both require opening up the fork to adjust.....

If you get it setup right, my personal preference is for a properly chosen straight-rate spring then.

----- Original Message ----
From: Jeremy Witt <Jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, April 21, 2006 10:44:58 AM
Subject: [ST] Time to fix the front end

My wife asked me last week what I wanted for my birthday next month, and
I think I've decided I want new fork springs and emulators.  :0)  The
stock seat hurts after about 45 minutes (that was my first planned
upgrade), but the front suspension sucks from minute one.

I'm familiar with the emulators from the Hawk upgrade, but I don't know
what I had for springs, as they were a slightly used package deal.  I'm
looking around at Race Tech and Wilburs so far.  Race Tech's auto
calculation site suggests I go with .929kg spring rate.  (Interestingly
enough, according to their calculations, the mushy stock springs are
appropriate for a street rider weighing 65lbs!)  I have heard stories of
Race Tech calculating to the high side, however.

Wilburs sent me back a quote on progressive springs.

Does anyone have advice on the choice between progressive rate and
single rate fork springs?  I'm currently a bit over 180lbs without gear.
What's worked for you guys?

TIA,
Jeremy Witt
Newbury Partners