Re: [ST] Fuel Economy

On 26 Apr 2006, at 13:59, Emile Nossin wrote:

> Nope, I've calculated all the alternatives (also via train)
> including all the
> details. It's a pretty big load of fuel, add to that the toll of
> the French
> roads and the extra accomodation costs it is almost exactly the same
> costs. But 2 long days over the French freeways will cause a lot of
> fatigue, having fun with a group on the boat for the same amount of
> time and same costs sounds like a better and less tiring option
> (if the sea isn't too rough at least...).

Golly - a degree of planning I can only aspire to...  I'm afraid I'm
doing well to remember get out on road at about right time with some
clothes, a toothbrush, passport and an visa card...  part of the fun
is not quite knowing where you are going ;).  And I guess if you are
going in a group that would slow you down on the roads, and also make
the ferry less tedious.

> Well, the French motorways aren't that much fun. Especially for
> two days non stop.

But compared to motorways in UK they are a delight....  I'd rather do
350 - 400 miles on motorways in 'continental' Europe than UK any day:
less congestion, better road surfaces, better service areas,
generally better scenery.

> You can get off the autoroute, but that would
> take 1 or 2 more days which I'd rather spend discovering the green
> part of Spain.

Yes.  I"m hoping to do the same this year: I'm really looking forward
to seeing what that part of the world is like.  Heard very good
things about it.

> There's also a few riders that don't have high speed Sprints...
> riding a Transalp at high speed isn't that comfy either.

Ahh.  Enough said.  You can get v.cheap budget airline flights to
Santander from UK.  Maybe you could persuade Transalp riders to fly,
and rent moped when they get there?

Best regards

Gavin Lawrie
ST'03