Re: [ST] Canal crash, mean time at Greenwich and lots of liquid too! (Long) Part I

On Apr 27, 2006, at 8:09 AM, Steve Lawler wrote:

> Cops
> were there in less than a minute. Some guy in a blue uniform with a
> badge tells me that he's going to remove my helmet. "Not until the
> EMT's
> get here."
>
> "I am an EMT."
>
> "Then go ahead." Thankfully I had no neck injury because this guy was a
> helmet noob. I had to show him the strap and the way that he pulled on
> it would have really turned me into toast on a stick if I had a neck
> injury.

Helmet removal is a two person job. As an EMT he should have known that.

EMT/Paramedics will want to remove a helmet from a crash victim because
it's pretty hard to check for head injuries, and/or provide respiration
should the patient need it suddenly if they're still wearing a helmet,
especially a full face one.

But when it comes time to removing it, there should be one trained EMT
holding the persons head by slipping their hands into the helmet as
much as possible. This also provides the C-spine support as the head is
lifted. The second EMT will remove the helmet.

If you're ever in this situation please cooperate with the EMT at this
point. If a bystander tries to remove your helmet though explain to
them that they must wait until a trained EMT does it.

Also try not to complain if the EMTs have to cut your leathers off.
They're replaceable, you're not.

Ride safe everyone.

Matt Knowles - Ferndale, CA - http://www.ferndalefire.org
Volunteer Firefighter and EMT