Re: [ST] ST alternatives

Blasphemer!  To the gallows for you, my friend !

:-)

> On this hypothetical about alternative sport-tourer
> to the Sprint - Isn't the Honda VFR most often
> compared to the Sprint??
>   You can start an endless debate (and I hope I
> haven't) :) about which is the better bike,  but the
> one undeniable fact is they are similar in many
> ways.

OK, time for me to chime in with my 2 cents...My
sport/touring history started with a Honda ST-1100,
which I soon learned was WAY too long and heavy for
the riding I was doing. I kept it as a touring bike
and bought a Superhawk ( Which I still have and love).
I found myself going to places like Deals Gap and
never being happy, because on one hand I had the SH,
fun once I was there but uncomfortable as hell to get
there with, and OTOH, the ST1100, comfy to get there
but no fun once there. So what I needed was a bike
that was almost as fun to ride as the SH, but almost
as comfy as the ST1100, and the answer to that
equation is a VFR, plain and simple. Had I ridden a
VFR first, I would never have bought the SH ( and of
course been deprived of everything good that the SH
is, most notable the experience of a V-twin sportbike
). So I swapped my 96 ST1100 for a 99 VFR, strait up ,
no money, thought I did well. Loved the VFR. Puts lots
of miles on it. Then I had a winter gig several years
back as an MC tour guide in Costa Rica. My work
vehicle was a Sprint RS. And that was that....I had to
have one. It more or less replaced my VFR, but I owned
them concurrently for one summer and compared them
frequently. From time to time I miss my VFR because of
its also unique character, but the Sprint is a better
bike, hands down. And it comes in two flavors, the
minimalist and slightly sportier RS, and the fully
faired and hard bagged ST. What more could you ask
for?

Another riding buddy had a similar experience. He had
an ST1100 and VFR, traded the ST1100 on a dual sport,
missed it, bought a used Sprint ST from a mutual
friend to replace it, and now doesnt ride the VFR
enough to justify keeping it. The Sprint ST does the
job of both of those bikes for him.

The VFR is an awesome bike in its own right, and it
does go head to head with the Sprint. It was Triumph's
moving target when they designed the Sprint. I happen
to feel ( as I am sure many on this list do) that the
Sprint out VFRs a VFR. But seriously, they are all
good bikes !  No one builds a bad bike these days. We
are fortunate to have so much to choose from.

Just my opinions, dont want to rattle anyone's
feathers...

Too bad I dont have the VFR any longer , Kevin. If I
did I would take it one Saturday and let you ride it
head to head with your Sprint. Ride one sometime if
you get the chance. Just another different
experience...

John
Cleveland
02 RS