Re: [ST] RE : Junk helmets, was Helmet Recommendation

The problem isn't meeting or exceeding the standards. The problem is
with the standards themselves. Testing for all of the standards (Snell,
DOT, BSI, ECE22-05) involve dropping various parts of the helmet from
various heights onto various objects with a human head facsimile inside.
To make a really long story really short, the Snell 2000, BSI, and ECE
22-05 standards force the construction of the helmet to be too stiff.
This stiff construction does not dissipate the energy of a collision as
effectively as the more flexible construction possible when building to
pass the DOT test. The stiffer helmets cause the head (and therefore the
brain) of the wearer to experience MORE ACCELERATION ( measured in "G"
or gravities ) than it would experience in a more flexible helmet during
any given impact. There is a direct correlation between the G
experienced by the brain and the likelihood of brain damage. More G,
more probability of brain damage.

A happy consequence of this is that the cheaper to produce DOT certified
helmets end up providing better real world protection, and doing it at
lower cost to the rider.

I did A LOT of research before buying a helmet, and budget was NOT an
issue for me. I bought the HJC Sy-max.

The most concise article that I have found that is readily available is
in the June '05 Motorcyclist. I suggest reading it. I dug a lot deeper,
but this article explains things very well, and does not conflict with
any of the other data I was able to dig up.

Mike
'06 ST
Seattle WA