[ST] Rear Brake

I was thinking this morning on the ride into work.  What is the rear brake on a motorcycle used for besides keeping down a wheelie?

I saw the TV story (and read a similar article) that showed three methods of stopping.

1) Rear brake only (not effective)

2) Front brake only (very effective)

3) Front & rear brake together (just slightly better than using only the front)

I use to use the rear in conjunction with the front riding on the street.  It wasn't until I started track riding/racing where I stopped using the rear brake.  That habit carried over onto my current street riding.  I might still use a bit of rear but not much.

I spoke to a 600cc racer and he mentioned he doesn't use the rear brake.  He did go on to say that it's the high level factory racers (Zemke, Duhamel, Mladin, etc) that only use the rear brake to slide and point the bike into a turn.  Is that true?  I thought power not brake was used to slide the rear.  Or does it depend on the situation?

I don't want to turn this into a long discussion, but any thoughts?

Rich