Re: [ST] Euro Trip

On 28 Aug 2006, at 20:47, Todd J wrote:

> I am heading to Yurp in the end of Sept and will be in southern
> Germany with a possible loop that includes Switzerland and/or
> Austria. I am contemplating riding for a day. Any suggestions? I
> will be based east of Stuttgart in Esslingen. Any suggestions for
> routes and bike rentals? What gear would YOU take if this was a
> POSSIBILITY?

I would strongly recommend the site http://www.alpineroads.com/ - it
has comprehensive information on alpine roads in Europe, many / most
of which have been ridden and rated by the Norwegian(?) chap who runs
it.  Contains maps, and where possible live information on pass
status.  I've based a couple of trips to alps around the site's
recommendations and both were excellent.  Site also has links to bike
hire places in the Austria / Switzerland area - http://
www.alpineroads.com/links_homepages.php#hire

I suspect a problem you'll have is finding passes that are open -
most seem to close early September.  But if you can squeeze in a
couple  during your trip you should.

While in Germany you should also ensure you try out the unrestricted
Autobahn's - there are some good straight ones near Stuttgart.  Got
an indicated 140+ on my ST last year.  But be sure to check your
bike / tyres / clothing etc. before going fast - you probably don't
want to come off at very high speed... and I'm told that German
police look grimly on you if you are found riding an 'unsafe' bike.

If you are in Austria, Salzburg is a good place to visit.  If you
wanted to be adventurous you could drop down through Austria to
Slovenia and back along the top of Italy - calling in at Venice along
the way, before heading back up to Switzerland or along to the South
of France (Monaco, Mont Blanc, etc.).  Heading due North from Nice
takes you through some wonderful alpine landscape - and being further
south it may be better weather conditions.

I'm in the toothbrush and amex camp myself.  I have found the Accor
chain (http://accor.com) good for cheap hotel accommodation in Europe
- they are a chain with several brands each occupying a price
segment, and have a pretty functional on-line booking system that
looks across all their available rooms in a location.  Handy for
getting a room night before you get there (or I guess booking ahead
from afar).

For kit, I'd recommend a good Goretex XCR type fabric riding suit -
I've got one by Hein Gericke but I guess there are several brands out
there (e.g. the very expensive BMW Streetguard2).  My HG is great -
totally waterproof but able to go from torrential rain to hot sun
without problem (or me getting too hot or cold): the XCR stuff
actually works as intended.  If you do anything hilly in the alps
that time of year you'll have to plan on fairly wide temperature
ranges and rain being part of the mix.  Leathers not practicable I'd
say.  And traditional waterproof fabric suits will do half the job
only without stopping to add / remove layers.  I would be wary of
renting riding kit.

HTH.

Gavin Lawrie