Re: [ST] Cylinder pressure problem

On Friday 03 February 2006 19:34, Doug Bailey wrote:
> Dealer mechanic tells me that initally he
> got 10-15 lbs per cylinder, after a little oil 100 on the center and 75 on
> each outside, but still not high enough.  Thinks a valve adjustment and
> throttle body sync is the place to start.

??!!??
Sure, your bike can run badly with unbalanced throttles, but it WILL run.
The purpose of putting a little oil into each cylinder when doing a
compression test is to seal the gap between piston and bore. If the valves
are to blame then adding oil will make no difference.

So, it could be rings/bores but the compression readings sound VERY low, hard
to imagine how it could get that bad without a very pronounced loss of power
and bad starting over a long period.

I wonder is he doing the compression test correctly.

To be honest he seems to be thowing every possibility into the mix - fuel, ECU
etc. which suggests he hasn't really a clue.

If the motor really is in a bad way mechanically, you might be able to pick up
a good motor fairly cheaply. But Hinckley Triumphs generally have a
reputation for clocking up high mileages.

Get a second opinion before doing anything.

Eoin

'04 ST 955i
'90 GPz900R
ex '93 Trophy3