[ST] db's and ears (was "Offroad exhaust" tune?)

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006, Sprint ST wrote:

> For example, in communications there have been tests that show a 3db
> increase in sound levels could not be detected by the human ear.  It
> took a 10db increase to be detected reliably. 3db is double the power
> output and 10db is 10 times the power.

Hey Rod,

I'm hoping that the example you mention above means you know a bit about
that subject as I've been debating what to do about bike comms to make
things more usable.

After going thru many prodcuts I've found Motocomm headsets and an
FRS/GMRS radio make for a nice system for under $100/ea.  We still have a
hard time hearing when we're at speed though (65+) so was looking toward
amplifying things.  Tried the boostaroo and a small CMoy/MINT type amp
that help a little but not quite enough.

We usually wear earplugs, such as Leight (sp?) Laser-Lites.  I tried an
alternative plug one day, one of the firmer bell shaped numbers which
seemed to let more sound through.

So the question is, with the Laser-Lites claiming about a 33db reduction
(I think it is), would a plug that claims a 23db reduction let more of the
helmet speaker through and make a difference?

Thanks for anythying you can tell me.  I'm going to see if I can find a
plug like the Laser-Lites in construct but with a lower db reduction to
test with.

--

                                ._O_.  '03 Sprint ST
            -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 Thunderbird Sport       /~\