Re: [ST] db's and ears (was "Offroad exhaust" tune?)

John,
Totally agree on your conclusions.  I have yet to find a comm or music device that didn't require eliminating what hearing I have left when riding over about 50mph.

On the 3db issue, it may be "dicernable" if you are looking for it, but the tests I'm talking about have to do with sustained communications.  If you have a problem voice channel, a 3db increase doesn't make a pratcial difference in voice quallity, it needs in the neighborhood of a 10db increase.  But ya know, it doesn't make any real difference.  It was probably a poor example.  My point was built on the fact that if you buy a pipe that doesn't require a tune change, it must be a cosmetic thing because it has a direct implication that there was no change in the combustion process.  The K&N usually does not "require" a new tune because the change is minimal.  The combination of a good pipe AND the K&N WILL require a tune change because it does effect combustion and you can feel it.
Rod