Re: [ST] db's and ears

2) Audio: Don't try to rebuild the wheel here, folks.

Here's what works well (for me anyway).  Use a medium attenuation earplug
and then use a high quality headset that is helmet mountable. The noise
floor is wiped out to a negligible level by the ear plugs obviously, but
amazingly the sound from the speakers is clear as bell, but you must have
ample volume to overcome the earplug attenuation. Even while in motion,
you will hear details in the sound that you cannot hear without the
earplugs.  Amazing.  I know this sounds contrary to what everyone's been
saying, as it seems like your'e blasting sound from the speakers just to
get past your ear plugs, but it really does work.

I second that...

I use an Autocom setup and the weirdest thing is that my music sounds TONS
better with ear plus in than without them.  I use a Dell MP3 player with
the Autocom helmet speakers and when its turned up full blast, the sound
is good up to about 60/70 but only OK thereafter.  I use a cheap Motorola
radio with a friend of mine (he use's a Starcom ? something or other) and
the mic is fine but the VOX does kick in sometimes above 60/70 on it's
own.  He couldn't use VOX and instead uses a PTT - when I want to talk I
blow a little to make the VOX kick in and then I talk.  It's not perfect
but it works for us - up to 50/60 or so its fine.  When we want to talk
above that, the front guy would raise his hand and we would slow down a
bit or if the buy behind wants to speak (and where we can) he speeds up
and does the same.  It really comes into its own when we are tootling
around town (especially since he has the GPS) and stuff.  Course.....he
only has a PTT and I have VOX and I LOVE to sing along to my Dell, so he
gets to enjoy my singing also :)