Re: [ST] db's and ears (was "Offroad exhaust" tune?)

"Knowing the sound level reduction in db can be somewhat misleading
without knowing what frequency range is being attenuated. Human voice
is typically considered to be in the 300-3,000 Hz range. ......."

Dennis,
As stated in a previous email, you should look at the Rider article on
earplugs where they tested helmets.  I thought that the helmet would be a
significant factor in ambient noise reduction but they showed that it was
not.  The numbers you state are those used by the communications industry to
transfer voice intelligence but have a lower quality factor.  You must have
a wider bandwidth for better quality.  Adding things like music changes
things even more.  I don't want to speak for John but I think that we both
agree on one point. You can hear voice communications and even music through
several units at high speeds but the method being used to defeat the ambient
noise may leave you deaf over time.
Rod