Re: [ST] Along the same line as Jack...

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006, Joel Ashman wrote:

> Have we ever discussed going to a Forum style setup like Thumpertalk.com?
> Just a thought.  Hmm, maybe I'll have to prototype a Sharepoint portal with
> storage for pics and other stuff all customized the indivudual user.

Dear $DEITY please no no NOOOOO!

I love and cherish the ability to manage my mailing list traffic in my
email client. I can filter, sort, thread, save, archive, etc however I
want, however my email client is capable of doing it and if I don't like
that I can just use another email client.

I can use an entirely text-based client for at least a 20% speed
improvement over using a GUI where I keep having to take my hands off the
keyboard to point and click.

I never ever have to worry that someone makes a stupid HTML coding error
and makes the "web forums" incompatible with my browser, or some coding
bug that just makes them break - if there is a coding bug I have to deal
with it is in my email client and there are plenty of those to choose
from and _I can do so at my leisure_.

If I don't like what someone has to say I can filter and ignore them
forever.

_Some_ of those features might be supported by _some_ web forums, but not
all of them. In the meantime, what do you get in return for switching to a
web interface? Not much. And it definitely does not prevent spammers and
such which is where I think this thread started. The mailing list itself
can be tightened much more than a web forum.

Web forum software is a cursed bane on the Internet and now you know I
obviously feel pretty strongly about this!

The only exception I'm aware of is Yahoo groups, which at least is a web
forum + email list setup so you can interact with it like an email list
and only deal with the web forum part when it _actually_ a benefit (on the
road, in a web cafe without my email client and I don't feel like pulling
up an ssh client). But Yahoo groups have their drawbacks too and there was
one created for the ST list and... well.. we've been down that road.

> Talk amongst yourselves.  I'll just duck and run... ;)

You'd better run!