Re: [ST] Amazing Tales

Rod,

Happened to my '99 at about 45,000 miles.  #1 plug came out with all the
threads from the head.

It started to come loose about 50 miles before it came out.  Just a
vague feeling in the running of the bike that something wasn't right.
The engine still ran smooth, but with occasional loss of some of the
power (probably due to loss of compression as the spark plug worked it's
way out).  Eventually, the plug came out, the engine lost all will to
run and the bike just died by the side of the road.  Yes, there is room
for a heli-coil in there.

I can only point to overexuberant mechanic trainee as to that point
no-one but the dealer had touched the bike, though I don't have any
proof of that.  Steel spark plug and aluminum threads in the head.  It's
not hard to overtighted a spark plug, especially if you break out the
torque wrench to set the plugs.

Dan Wallander
Albuquerque, NM