Re: [ST] ST 05 undertail exhaust on an 03?

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006, MICHAEL LODERSTEDT wrote:

> Yo Sprint dudes,
>  Has any one out there retrofitted a recent 05 undertail exhaust onto an older (O3) Sprint ST? I recently bought a new muffler on ebay and am thinking of trying to fabricate a mounting for my 03 Sprint. I must say, the giant can sort of defeats the aesthetics of the single-sided swingarm, and an aftermarket unit is a 1K note.
>  Michael

Michael - Have you considered using a Ducati exhaust instead? An ancient
post in the archives mentions someone attempting it but there was no
followup and the person's email address bounces now.

The Ducati exhaust has a couple of things going for it:

 	* it has been around since the 916 through 998, 748, etc so many
people have upgraded it and have their now virtually useless stock
exhausts to sell - they go for cheap on ebay

 	* it looks better (imho)

The drawback of course is that one could _guess_ that the 05 ST exhaust
may be a better match for the earlier models engines than the Ducati ie:
the length, size of expansion chambers and location of bends etc would be
_less_ likely to result in a net negative in performance by reducing
scavenging or increasing backpressure. However I think that only is
going to really apply if you include the headers in the swap. All bets are
off if you are going to do some plumbing to just hook up the muffler +
a bit of tube after the collector - that interconnect segment of tube
itself could be enough to throw it all out of whack.

Personally the Ducati exhaust attempt is on my list of "someday" projects.
It looks clear to me that in either case you would have to relocate the
rear brake reservoir somewhat because it is exactly where you would need
the pipe to go and in almost all cases (aftermarket and custom jobs) that
I've seen a fairly extensive rework/replacement of the undertray is
required, in which case you'll probably also want to by a tire hugger
to keep muck from getting everywhere. You may also want to consider
budgeting in a stiffer shock spring or a whole new rear shock as clearance
can be an issue.

There are quite a few creative types on T595.net and I've seen a bunch of
different mods in their photo archives (including an $70 or so underseat
made with an aftermarket muffler from a Honda civic and all custom
plumbing). You aren't the only one that thinks the few aftermarket
underseats are way overpriced! Most of them apply to Daytonas and S3s
which definitely have different rear bodywork and probably different subframes.