Re: [ST] ST 05 undertail exhaust on an 03?

----- Original Message ----
From: Paul English <tallpaul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2006 2:49:41 AM
Subject: Re: [ST] ST 05 undertail exhaust on an 03?

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006, MICHAEL LODERSTEDT wrote:

"It looks clear to me that in either case you would have to relocate the
rear brake reservoir somewhat because it is exactly where you would need
the pipe to go"

I put a PowerMax underseat on my 01 ST, and there was no need to relocate the rear brake reservoir.  The pipe went inside peg and peg hanger.

"and in almost all cases (aftermarket and custom jobs) that
I've seen a fairly extensive rework/replacement of the undertray is
required, in which case you'll probably also want to by a tire hugger
to keep muck from getting everywhere."

As was the case with the PowerMax (and from what I know, the same with other underseat exhausts), rearhuggers do not fit.  You can make them fit with some dremmelling and custom work on one.

"You may also want to consider budgeting in a stiffer shock spring or a whole new rear shock as clearance can be an issue."

I didn't find this to be an issue, but that is why the undertray is modified.  It is actually cut out so that the pipe is in the space where the underseat storage was.  That said, if you are a heavy sort, ride really hard, or like the rear shock on a soft setting, you can touch the wheel to the underseat pipe.

Matt Heyer