Re: [ST] An example of my complaint

On Saturday 11 February 2006, Joel Ashman wrote:

> At least with a forum, we could break the conversations into topics, like
> Tires, Suspension, Engine, Modifications, etc.  We'd also get the Threaded
> conversations.

If people don't change the subject line on an email to reflect the content,
there's not much hope of them posting comments in the correct forum either...
they just hit reply and type whatever (bless 'em, not all of us are so
computer literate :)  At least with email it's much easier and quicker to
sort the wheat from the chaff.

> All thread postings would be listed together no matter what the subject
> title, or how much data was (or wasn't) cut from the original post.   And
> Moderators would exist to keep things organized.

Moderators can, and do, exist on email forums too.

The main problem I have with web forums is that you end up re-reading the same
stuff again and again, just so you get to see one "me too" post at the end of
the thread :/

Most web forums are major bandwidth hogs too, with silly animated signature
gifs etc. etc. making the threads slow to load even on broadband (or someone
insists on posting several 2MB pictures of his new bike inline, instead of
providing hyperlinks...)  This can be moderated out, but rarely is.

If you want to save an email (tips for doing a particular maintenance job, for
instance) that's easy. If you don't want to see any more of a particular
thread, with email that's easy too. You never have to re-read anything you
don't want to.

Eoin

'04 ST 955i