Re: [ST] Suspension upgrade (was: Sprint ABS)

On Feb 14, 2006, at 12:02 PM, Emile Nossin wrote:
> I did turn up the preload on the rear a lot, as well as the rebound
> damping.

Yep, the stock ST rear damper increases the compression and rebound
damping at the same time, but often times the ratio between the two
damping rates isn't suitable for a particular rider. The ability to
adjust them independently is important.

Preload should only be used to set the static and dynamic sag
correctly for the weight of the rider and accessories/passengers. It
isn't the appropriate adjustment for changing the dynamic handling
characteristics of a motorcycle. Those are manipulated by changing
the compression and rebound damping.

> So how does the emulator's effect compare to, for example, a new
> set of
> progressive springs, in terms of stability etc?

Springs and preload are only used to gain the correct sag settings.

An emulator gives you independent control over both the compression
and rebound settings on the front forks. It also has different
settings for high-speed (sharp) bumps versus low speed (gentle
oscillations) bumps. So, for example, an emulator will let your front
forks be plush and nicely absorb the impact when you run over a
pothole, but also be firm when you're aggressively taking turns and
braking.

The RaceTech FAQ does a pretty good job of explaining some of these
concepts: <http://www.racetech.com/SubMenu.asp?
cMenu=4&c=Yes&cSubMenu=11&showPage=street>.

There are more technical articles at <http://www.racetech.com/
SubMenu.asp?cMenu=4&c=Yes&cSubMenu=9&showPage=street> as well.

> Where can I get it in
> Europe (or online) and how much is it? I mean a set of fork springs is
> pretty cheap as well (although WP and Hyperpro are both Dutch, that
> might help).

I don't know about European sales, but email RaceTech at
<distsales@xxxxxxxxxxxx> and I'm sure they'll be able to point you in
the right direction.
--
Blake Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxx>