[ST] front preload

I'm no expert on suspensions, but here's a word of warning:

Don't dial in too much preload on the front of the RS. I let a mate set up my static sag. He wanted to dial out 5mil of front sag.

We upped the preload till we got the sag where he said it should be (25mil if I remember right), and I took it for a spin. Seemed better -front felt less "spongy" than before, but there is no rebound damping adjustment on the front, so we had to leave as is.

The next day I took it for a blast to Darling, a very bumpy surface. Coming out of Darling I hit a series of ripples in the road at about 160kph (which I've done many times since and before) and the bike went into a major tank slapper.

I absolutely S%$t myself, had to pull over afterwards to let the shakes go away. For a few seconds I thought I'd loose it, thankfully I didn't panic and grab the brakes or tap off or I think I would have come off.

Went home, dialed a bit of preload out, went back and tried it again and no wobble.

It never wobbled again.

The only thing I can think of is that either the suspension topped out in the front, or the preload overwhelmed the damping.

cheers

Marc
Cape Town, RSA
This email forms part of an electronic communication sent to
the intended recipient or such person's authorised representative,
for the recipient's sole use and is subject to important legal
and regulatory restrictions, qualifications and disclaimers
("Email Legal Notice") that must be accessed by clicking here
<http://www.foschini.co.za/disclaimer.htm>
Or copy this address onto your Internet browser and process there.
The Email Legal Notice is enforceable and binding on the recipient
(or such person's authorised representative) in terms of section 11
(1) to 11 (3) of the Electronic Communications and Transactions Act
No. 25 of 2002. By receiving, reading or acting upon this email,
you automatically be bound by the terms of the Email Legal Notice.