Re: [ST] Suspension upgrade (was: Sprint ABS)

>From: sprint_st@xxxxxxxxxxx
>I've ridden a lot with an excellent R1100S driver and thought
>the ST and BMW were well matched in the turns.  I do know my
>springs and RT's made things better but when it came to
>confidence tires meant more to me.

Yep, I know about the tire influence on this bike (never noticed
much difference on other bikes when tires were getting more worn).
I had the stock BT57 or so (forerunner of BT020 I believe) at first,
quickly changed for a pair of Z6 which were fine at first until
the rear tire started getting really square by the time we were
riding thru the French Alps, even to the chords as we suddenly
found out (no center groove indicator). Now running a Michelin
Pilot Road on the rear which I got there, that made an amazing
difference, the Z6 is still on the front. It's more the tires
eventually getting worn that's the influence, not so much the
tires themselves when you'd compare them new.

But the difference between R1100S and ST isn't that big in standard
flowing turns (the ST handled much more stable in hairpins with that
new Pilot Road on the back), but more with freeway speed fast turns,
especially if the pavement has some ridges or bumps. The GS and T-max
would stay like on rails (the ST1100 would become slightly wobbly with
a topbox on the back, but would also keep tracking straight without,
unlike the PC800 which had very soft suspension... like the Sprint),
the Sprint is at that point much easier disturbed.

Emile
www.piloot.com