Re: [ST] Suspension upgrade (was: Sprint ABS)

On 15/02/06, Emile Nossin <Emile@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The hyperpro front spring kit also comes with their own
> oil, I guess that will make a difference as well? My weight 65 kgs
> (145lbs) at 1.90m (6'3"), but also often with luggage and 2-up.

Emile,
For the record I'm 5'11" and weigh in at around 147lbs.

I had a 2002 model ST and had the HyperPro spring kit (front & rear)
fitted by someone who knew what they were doing - and hence set it up
as well as it could be with me in riding gear.
My issue was primarily with the front kicking up over high(er) speed
bumps. It was truly unsettling and I was starting to regret buying the
ST. As far as I was concerned, the HyperPro kit transformed the bike.
The HyperPro kit came with 5wt oil for the forks. The forks were
removed and drained and what came out was truly horrible after 8000
miles of use. I ran with the HyperPro setup for another 16000 miles
and the upgrade was a bargain.

Having read everyone else's reports (both here and over the last few
years while I've been primarily lurking here), I know the RaceTech
emulators would have made the front end even better - and also shown
up the deficiencies of the rear shock even more.

I might get into trouble here but if you are not going to change the
rear shock, do the HyperPro spring kit. If you are going to change the
rear shock, get a front spring kit AND get the cartridge emulators,
else you'll just be wasting your investment in the rear shock.

Cheers,

Spud.
ex-2002 BRG ST
1994 BBB Speed Triple - HyperPro sprung front with HyperPro rear shock
and progressive spring.