Re: [ST] Delayed emails?

Matt H

I agree with you but in my case the sending and receiving mail server is in a rack not 10 feet from me and I know that the delays are not there from the logs.  Which points to the server used to host the triumphnet site.  Only other possibiity I can think of is a DNS issue from said server but I'd be surprised if that affected everyone the same.
I assume that I miss out on some emails although I can not detect any broken threads.  A month ago there was very little traffic and it has exploded recently - I put that down to human interest, not technology.

Chris Harwood
00 RS

>>> matthewheyer@xxxxxxxxx 18/02/2006 20:33:44 >>>
I happen to disagree with this.  Email generally goes from sending mailserver to receiving mailserver.  It may take different paths across the internet at different times, but that is through the routers (calculating costs of the paths) and not through servers (the one caveat to this would be if someone uses a third-party email solution for spam control or the sort, like postini, or once the message hits an enterprise that may do any number of things in a multiple server environment - front-end and back-end servers, load balancing servers, etc - then it may go through multiple servers, but I don't think we are using something this robust).  Even with different paths taken across the internet to get from the sending mail server to the receiving mail server, this should not generally make for multiple hour delays.  And almost alway results in general delay.  Unless of course at a certain time, there is a failure not known to the sender in which the email goes to the primary
 MX record, never makes it, then the sender "sees" the failure and subsequent emails go to the secondary MX record.  This in a high-volume setting would generally result in a batch of email from a point in time being delayed.

As for the Yahoo account, I do a lot of testing into and out of our enterprises email system using this external email account, and have not experienced sporadic email delays ever.

So that said, what gives with our lists's mail delivery?  If nobody really knows, then forget about it - but I was wondering if there is some root-cause problem.  And if there is, and it's known, and the administrators know that this is not changing, then so be it - but I would like to be aware just for my own sanity.

Matt Heyer