Re: [ST] new product lighting; Philips MotoVision and extraDuty

>From: John Ulizzi
>It's only for the French market, the French require all headlamps
>to be yellow, Philips may just be changing the coating slightly
>for marketing reasons.
>>Kevin Byram <blubyu352@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>Sound like a good development, but unfortunately, I believe many
>>US states may not allow the orange color for a headlamp.

Most trendy headlights (even the white topvisions) have a very
small blue section on the bulb. Some have a bit yellowish ("all
weather" lamps) glow over them. This one will have a bit orange
glow over it, so not a total orange / yellow / blue light.

The French don't require yellow headlights anymore, that's an
ancient rule. In fact it is forbidden now, because the yellow
die used to make it was environmentally rather damaging
apparently. So you hardly see any cars in France with yellow
headlights anymore. Markus also pointed out it came from a Dutch
newspaper, not a French one (where it's just white bulbs now).
As you can see from the pic, it is a white bulb, just with a
light orange tint.

The light orange hue will distinct bikes a bit from cars that
have the usual bluish or (standard lamps) brownish hue. As
long as they keep marketing these lamps for bikes only (with
the stronger built and keep that tint only for bikes) than
I think it's a good thing.

Emile
www.piloot.com