Re: [ST] Brake Cleaning

Matt,
I think we are in total agreement.  The reason for the grime issue and the
yearly clean, I believe, is a combination of pad wear and grime.  Several
guys have explained the pre-05 issue as the pads wear and pistons don't take
up the extra space because of the grime.  Most just describe it as sticking
pistons.  I don't know if that is the actual case but I do know exercising
the pistons and cleaning makes the extra lever travel go away for quite a
while.  In my case, I was just about a year and 5000 miles (this was quite a
slow riding year for me but they were not commuter miles, they were twisty
miles). The lever travel wasn't that bad, yet, but I was getting to notice
it.

As for the 05+ issues, I've never seen a new bike that was absolutely
perfect.  Hopefully, it will get cured over time.
Rod