From: Chris Harwood <Chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 8:59:34 AM
Subject: Re: [ST] rear brake sensitivity question

Philip

I'm on an RS and 2000 year but although the back brake is adequate (and
good compared to some bikes) I have to try hard to lock the rear wheel.
Have you done a visual on the disc, pads and tyre.  Is lubricant getting
on the tyre?

If you've done the advanced riding you're not going to be applying the
rear brake before the front one has loaded the forks properly.  You
sound as though you do hard stops quite regularly.  Are you reading the
road ahead well or are we talking track days?

The other thing to check is for non-standard parts if you bought it
used in particular.

If the rear shock is slow to extend that could reduce the load on the
tyre under braking as well.

HTH

Chris Harwood
00 RS

>>> pjs962003-sprintst@xxxxxxxxx 17/01/2006 14:39:00 >>>
i have had my '03 sprint st now for almost a year, and i have noticed
the rear brake is much more sensitive then it was on my speed four. i
talked to my brother in law who has a speed triple, and he says his is
pretty weak. mine seems to be extra sensitive, during hard stops it
locks up almost everytime. i took the motorcycle safety foundation
advanced course last year and noticed this also along with the
instructors.

is something wrong with it, or is this just a character of this bike.
or is it a riding error on my part (a possibility only been riding for 2
years)? it locked up again on saturday and it wasn't a hard stop at all?
wondering if the dealer could dial it back a little. i am not locking up
the front otherwise i might be writing this from the hospital or repair
shop (knocking on wood)...

philip
03' sprint st "the royal banana"