Re: [ST] Gas Mileage

There's a mildly funny story on that (which I might have already
shared).  My pal Marcus and I were returning from a Hawk Rally in NE
Georgia, to NH, on the BRP.  My stock Hawk got about 50mpg, his Hawk
with a modified race engine, a bit less.

Darkness is falling as we reach Milepost 1 on the BRP and we decide to
continue on Skyline Drive, not realizing the one and only gas station
isn't open late.  Partway through that 100+ mile stretch, Marcus runs
out his main tank.  Switching to reserve still won't allow a
restart...for quite a while.  We pass the closed gas station and start
to get real worried.

So, as you suggested, we shut the bikes off on the downhill runs...in
the dark...amid deer...and even a small brown bear.  Fortunately, the
last half of SD is mostly downhill (go figure) and we coast into Front
Royal, right into the first gas station we see.  I still had more than a
quarter gallon left in the tank, Marcus puts 3.06 gal in his 3.10 gal
tank.

We laugh nervously...and go find our hotel for the night.

I will be sure to look you up, when next I manage to attend a late
September GA rally.  Haven't been on the BRP since 04 and I miss it.

Jeremy Witt
Newbury Partners
(o) 603-893-3022
(c) 603-475-4228