Re: [ST] Track Update

You are correct - never had the gear pull out.  I've also only climbed on NorthEast/New England Granite - very good stuff for holds and holding gear.

Matt Heyer

----- Original Message ----
From: Todd J <me_shucker@xxxxxxxxx>
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 9:02:24 AM
Subject: Re: [ST] Track Update

(M Heyer wrote/ quote) I liken it to rock climbing - the best thing that ever happened to me was falling. I realized that I wasn't going to plummet to the rocks and trees below and die, and the ropes would hold me. In the end, it made me less tense realizing that if I fall, so be it - and that made it all easier (/end quote)

  Clearly you have never had gear pull out on you on a lead climb...THAT will remind you just how good your placement needs to be on those leads...;-)

  Todd
Matthew Heyer <matthewheyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Well, I've had this happen on my last two track days (I'll hopefully break the streak this weekend...), so while not fun and bit of an "oh shit", it doesn't have me shaken now. Maybe like the pros crashing - do it a few times, and it just becomes something that happens) like when they just run to the bike, pick it back up, and continue racing. I liken it to rock climbing - the best thing that ever happened to me was falling. I realized that I wasn't going to plummet to the rocks and trees below and die, and the ropes would hold me. In the end, it made me less tense realizing that if I fall, so be it - and that made it all easier. The first time I saved a high-side, I was definitely overly cautious getting back on the throttle out of that same corner - now I get back up to speed in a few laps. The track marshall gave me a big thumbs for saving the high side, and then getting back out there on on pace. It's all a learning experience, and finding that limit is a good
thing. What I might start considering for protective gear though is a cup. One of these times I'm going to hurt the boys too much..

Matt Heyer