Re: [ST] Where to ride around Boulder, CO

Hi Stephen,

I work in Gunbarrel (just north of Boulder) and live in Longmont.  My work commute is about 6.5 miles, but I tend to stretch it a bit in the afternoons on the ST.  There are some good loops from our area up to Peak to Peak highway (goes north/south from Central City to Estes Park).

For a longer loop, take highway 93 south to Golden, then head up the canyon (hwy 6) to Central City/Blackhawk to catch the start of Peak to Peak highway (hwy 119, becomes hwy 72 further north).  This road can be busy with traffic heading up to Central City/Blackhawk for gambling.  There are two other entry points south of Boulder that you can take up into the mountains and get to Peak to Peak hwy - one on the north end of Golden (signs say Golden Gate park), and and just south of Rocky Flats (hwy 72, I think, at a traffic light on 93).

>From Boulder, you can head up Boulder canyon to Nederland (fairly busy road).  Or, go just north of Boulder on 36 and take Left Hand canyon up to Ward (watch out for heavy bicycle traffic on this road on weekends).  If you take this road from hwy 36, watch for the left hand turn towards Ward.  If you miss the turn, you'll end up in Jamestown, where the road eventually becomes dirt.

Heading north on Peak to Peak highway from any of the points listed above, you'll come to a stop sign at hwy 7.  You can head east and end up in Lyons, or head west and end up in Estes Park.  I rode through that intersection on Friday and saw that they're doing road work west of there on hwy 7, so I don't know what the road is like.  It's good from there down to Lyons, though.

If you end up in Estes Park, you can take hwy 36 back down to Lyons or take hwy 34 down into Loveland, then work your way back down toward Lousville once you come out of the mountains.

When I leave work on the ST, I usually head west across north Boulder and take Lee Hill road to Left Hand canyon, up to Ward (the town that time forgot), then north on Peak to Peak hwy.  At hwy 7, if I head east down into Lyons then back to Longmont, it's about 60 miles and takes about an hour.  If I head west on 7 to Estes Park and come down hwy 36 to Lyons and back to Longmont, it's around 75 miles and takes maybe an hour and a half.  If I take the super scenic commute through Estes Park, down hwy 34 to Loveland, then back to Longmont, it's around 100 miles and takes a couple hours.

Shoot me an email sometime if you want to take a ride and I'll show you around some of the roads.  If you head out for a long ride (1/2 day or longer), check out Trail Ridge Road.  It's a real nice loop down hwy 93 to Golden, hwy 6 to I-70 to hwy 40 up over Berthoud pass and down through Winter Park, through Granby and up over Trail Ridge down into Estes Park.  Avoid mid-day weekends on Trail Ridge road this time of year, if you can.  It's a very touristy place and usually plugged with very slow traffic on weekends.  And, if you're afraid of heights, don't get too close to the edge of the road - no shoulder and a steep drop with no guard rail in some places.

Dan
dan_wolf@xxxxxxxxx
2000 ST