Re: [ST] Throttle Cable Freeplay and adjustment

Dan Wetherington wrote:
> I'm noticing that my bike seems to have a little too much slop in
the throttle cable, like it takes more turn of the throttle to do
anything.  As I don't have a service manual, where am I supposed to
check the cable freeplay? <

Dan,
There are two slack adjustment points.  One is at the throttle sleeve
where the cable connects. That one is easy to adjust without tools.
The other is at the throttle body end where it's adjusted with
wrenches and relatively inaccessible.  I always transfer any
adjustment to the lower end if I have the tank off to preserve the
upper adjustment range for use on the road.  Proper adjustment will
still have a tiny bit of freeplay with the bars straight and at full
lock.

It's a good idea to lube the cable(s) at least yearly to preserve
freedom of movement and flush out the crap which seems to work its way
inside.  And any time you have the tank off, check for signs of cable
fraying.

--
Rick in Oregon
'01 Sprint ST