Re: [ST] Life out there?

>From: Marc Van Est
>We pay US$ 0.96 per litre, which works out at US$ 4.37 per gallon if I'm
>using the right conversion. More than half of that is tax. Marc Cape Town, RSA

That would be Imperial Gallons, but most posts were from Emerricuns, who use
US Gallons. 1 US gallons = 3.785 liter, so you would pay around $3.63 USD per
US Gallon, which sounds in line with the US price...and still half the price of
what I pay :-(. Of our price, 66% is taxes (red and orange parts is tax, blue part
is the oil price, yellow is operational costs, green is shell's profit for 2005):
http://www.shell.com/static/nl-nl/downloads/prijzen/euro95_gem05.pdf

Also cool to see in the first big table in this article, is that the oil price
really isn't as high yet (or almost now) as it was in 1980 if you correct it
for inflation and/or US Dollar exchange rate:
http://www.mees.com/postedarticles/oped/a47n01d02.htm
The biggest influence on the oil price is inflation and the US dollar
exchange rate, which is what OPEC uses if I briefly go thru the article.

This article is even nicer (not including exhange rate, but corrected for
inflation in the US) since it shows the gas prices from 1920-2005:
http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/2005/08/is_oil_a_bubble.html

So around 2010 fuel (corrected for inflation) should be cheap again :-).
By then we'll probably have other problems to complain about though...

Emile
www.piloot.com