Re: [ST] for Marc -

>From: Masiak, Richard
>I'm not sure if it comes into play either, however even
>with loss of traction there must still be some precession
>forces present. Whether or not they still play a roll,
>I don't know.

Precession has nothing to do with traction. It's just the
force of a spinning wheel / object that resists change of
attitude, deflecting the applied force 90 degrees onward.
So if the wheels turn (even with your bike airborn), they
will want to transform the rolling motion of the falling bike
into a yaw motion on both wheel seperately.

Since the rear wheel is fixed on that axle, only the front
wheel would actually react by yawing towards the turn / fall
direction. With traction this (plus the steering geometry)
is actually one of the influences that wants to upright a
bike, but also creates the (resisting) force we feel when
steering with increasing speed. Hence why counterrotating
brakes will make the controls equally light at any speed.

>Reason I know there is some forces present is because if a
>low side is caused by tucking the front it can be saved by
>applying force with your knee.

You're gonna have to explain a bit more. You mean if one skids
the front wheel (tucking in?), a force with your knee (force
against what?) can regain traction? Sounds like a "track legend"
to me, but perhaps you can give some more details?

Emile
www.piloot.com