[ST] Idle problems

I have a 2000 ST with 60K miles on it. I don't like to take it to the
dealers (cost too much) so I have done all my own maintenance, but I
have run up against a problem that I haven't been able to fix.

The bike normally idles at 1100 rpm. After it gets warmed up, when I
pull up to a stop sign and down shift to 1'st and leave it in gear it is
idling at 1100-1200 rpm. But if I shift to neutral (with clutch in or
out) the idle jumps to 1800-1900 rpm. If I drop it back into first the
idle drops to 1400-1500. After I ride away from the stop, at the next
stop, the idle is back to 1100-1200. Bike has no problems at other
speeds. At first this would only happen occasionally, now it happens
almost every time I stop at a light. As I am down shifting through the
gears, when I pass neutral, I hear the rpm go up then back down when I
get to first.
   I have checked the valve clearances 4K miles ago. I have taken apart
and cleaned the idle air control valve and stepper motor, looked for
vacuum leaks. Cleaned air cleaner. New plugs. Only engine mods are K&N
filter, powermax exhaust with sport bike tune. Bike was working fine
with these mods until about 2K ago.

   Things I have not done is balanced the injectors, ran injector
cleaner through gas.
   Could this be the infamous CO problem?

   I can either take it to the dealers and get it tuned up and hope that
fixes it ($200-$300). Or pay them $90.00 an hour to trouble shoot the
problem ( $300 to infinity) .

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Al Garvin