Re: [ST] Idle problems

Al

I have been suffering the same symptoms for months now.  Mine is a 2000
RS and it started it for no reason that I could see.  It has been to the
dealers for a service and I asked them to check it.  That made no
difference and had I not ridden a long way to get there, I would have
taken it back.  It did fix itself for a week then went bad again.  When
I can afford a Tuneboy I might sort it myself.

The only sensible clue I have is that it has been mentioned on this
list that the ECU senses voltage and ups the tickover if it feels it is
low - as in battery on its last legs or seriously discharged.

The other point that has been suggested is that the neutral switch is
the item sensed for battery voltage in this case and one person has
claimed the problem went away after replacing said switch (not
difficult).

HTH

Chris Harwood
00 RS 2K tickover hot

>>> agarvin@xxxxxxxxxx 14/06/2006 16:05:17 >>>
I have a 2000 ST with 60K miles on it. I don't like to take it to the
dealers (cost too much) so I have done all my own maintenance, but I
have run up against a problem that I haven't been able to fix.

The bike normally idles at 1100 rpm. After it gets warmed up, when I
pull up to a stop sign and down shift to 1'st and leave it in gear it
is
idling at 1100-1200 rpm. But if I shift to neutral (with clutch in or
out) the idle jumps to 1800-1900 rpm. If I drop it back into first the

idle drops to 1400-1500. After I ride away from the stop, at the next
stop, the idle is back to 1100-1200. Bike has no problems at other
speeds. At first this would only happen occasionally, now it happens
almost every time I stop at a light. As I am down shifting through the

gears, when I pass neutral, I hear the rpm go up then back down when I

get to first.
   I have checked the valve clearances 4K miles ago. I have taken apart

and cleaned the idle air control valve and stepper motor, looked for
vacuum leaks. Cleaned air cleaner. New plugs. Only engine mods are K&N

filter, powermax exhaust with sport bike tune. Bike was working fine
with these mods until about 2K ago.

   Things I have not done is balanced the injectors, ran injector
cleaner through gas.
   Could this be the infamous CO problem?

   I can either take it to the dealers and get it tuned up and hope
that
fixes it ($200-$300). Or pay them $90.00 an hour to trouble shoot the
problem ( $300 to infinity) .

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Al Garvin