Re: [ST] Cleaning Brake Calipers (was: some kind of berger)

Nate,

I just did mine last friday, and WOW, what a
difference. I dont have a specific set of directions,
and perhaps someone else can expound on this, but
basically:

Take one caliper off at a time. Pull the pads out,
clean them up with brake cleaner. Sand down glaze if
necessary. Squeeze brake once or twice to extend
pistons a bit. Spray them with brake cleaner. Take an
old toothbrush ( or your toothbrush, if you wish),
soak it with brake cleaner, brush off as much of the
surface area of the pistons as you can. Clean off the
entire caliper and blow the accumulated goo off with
an air gun if you have one. Work each piston in and
out a few times by hand, make sure all of them have
roughly the same amount of stiction and none are
hanging up. Recompress them with a pair of C-clamps or
similar, reinstall on the fork, repressurize slightly.
Repeat with other caliper. When the second caliper is
reinstalled, you can repressurize fully by squeezing
the crap out of the brake lever and holding it. A word
of caution, I wish I had not done mine quite as much
as I did. The feel and lever travel was so affected I
had to rotate in more freeplay on the lever mounted
dial...

If I missed anything, chime in....

John