Re: [ST] I stand corrected.....

On Tuesday 13 June 2006 16:52, John Ulizzi wrote:
> Had the guy been in a car, everyone might have walked
> away. He wasnt. He was on a bike.

Does that mean that if a Hummer makes tinfoil of a small car, it was the small
car's occupants who were at fault for not being in another Hummer?

Where does it end? When everyone is driving a Sherman tank and there are no
cyclists, pedestrians or motorcyclists left? To me this is insanity.

> Can
> you say that this lady, say she's your mom or aunt or
> sister, deserves the additional fallout becuase he was
> on a bike?

Yes, absolutely, 100%
All road users have a duty of care to other road users. Saying it's his fault
for being on a bike is blaming the victim. He would have been a lot smarter
to wear a lid, but that was his decision alone to make and within the law of
that state, just as his decision to ride and not take his car was his
decision alone and within the law.

> Does she deserve the additional fallout
> because he is the Steeler's beloved QB? The death
> threats she will likely receive?

Certainly not. But perhaps, in a perverse way, this incident will make some
drivers more aware of the need to look out for bikes?

I wonder why he didn't refuse to wear a helmet at the Superbowl, though...

Eoin

Dublin, Ireland

'04 ST955i