Re: [ST] Beemer GP?

On Jun 16, 2006, at 12:12 PM, Paul English wrote:

> So I don't know why anyone would expect to see K or R technology, or
> their
> Rotax based stuff in motogp.

Manufacturers don't get into racing because they want to win trophies.
They race to sell bikes. For the most part they do that by either
selling bikes that are similar to what they race, or they race bikes
that they sell. (The Honda 5 Cyl. or the oval piston being well known
exceptions.)

If Triumph were to race in motogp I would expect an inline triple. If
Harley (gasp) were to go at it, it would be with a V-twin.

Even if inline fours were kicking everyone's butts, I don't think you'd
see Ducati or Aprillia running one unless they had one in their street
lineup.

So even though they raced in the original Superbike series, the opposed
twins, as people have mentioned, don't make real good race bikes. So it
seems far more likely that BMW would choose an inline engine layout.
Whether it shares any real parts with their production machines is
irrelevant. I guess that's what I meant by "K" technology.

Matt Knowles - Ferndale, CA -
http://www.knowlesville.com/matt/motorcycles
  '99 Sprint ST - for going fast and far (2CZUSA)
  '01 KLR650 (A15) - for exploring the North Coast backroads
  '97 KLX300 & '01 Lakota - for playing in the dirt
  '79 KZ400 - just because it was the first vehicle I ever owned