Re: [ST] Wrap-up of Roethlis-what-his-name?

On 6/20/06, Matt Knowles <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well it's been 27 years since I took a physics class. I guess I'm going
> to have to look up momentum vs. inertia.

Not mine, but found this on another forum. Nice explanation:

"inertia is the measure of how much resistance matter has to
acceleration. the more inertia something has, the less it wants to
respond to forces and accelerate. this statement is mathematically
stated a = F/m. newtons s second law. m is the measure of inertia,
called (inertial) mass. the more force, the more acceleration. the
more inertia, the less acceleration.

momentum is the product of inerta (m) and velocity (v). p=ma. it turns
out that momentum is always conserved in any closed system. momentum
is related to inertia, as you can see. the more inertia something has,
the more momentum it has, when in motion."

In other words, mass = inertia. Momentum is that mass times the speed.

Emile
www.piloot.com