Re: [ST] Tuying down on a trailer

The one thing I see many people do in tying their bikes to a trailer is
use the bars as the front mounting point.  When I bought my Sprint, I
trailered it home (800 miles of interstate, from NC to IL in late
November).  When I put it on the trailer at first, I used this method,
but noticed that I was putting pressure on the fairing on one side
(strap came across the edge of the fairing).  This actually broke the
little tab that holds the side fairing to the nose fairing on one side.

Since then, and after doing some research, I found that a better way to
tie the bike down is to only tie the "unsprung" portion of it and let
the suspension float.    You really only need to do two things: tie the
front down and forward, and keep the rear wheel from moving sideways (a
little downward pressure helps here too).  I've used this method ever
since the first day, and have had NO problems with my bike on a trailer.
 The sad part is that I've had to do it at all...

Like someone else mentioned, everyone has their own way of doing
things.  This is just another option...

Dan

www.packereng.com