Re: [ST] Tire Pressures

On Jun 21, 2006, at 9:18 AM, <sprint_st@xxxxxxxxxxx>
<sprint_st@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> All the rear tires I have used BT057, MEZ4, Z6 and now a Strada
> seem to last about 4700 miles give or take a 100 miles.  A guy who
> gets over 6K on Z6's recommends dropping my tire pressure.  I would
> have thought that would cause them to wear faster, but who knows.
> Any comments?

I guess this goes against the norm, but is working for me so far.  I
run 40 front / 34 rear.  I got 8K+ high-speed highway miles out of
the first rear Continental Road Attack, and it is looking like I'll
get that much out of the second.  The front tire pressure dropped to
about 36 when I didn't check it for a while, and quickly cupped
pretty bad.  I cranked pressure back up to 40 and the cupping has
evened out and wear has been minimal over the 1K+ miles of my summer
trip so far.  The front tire is also a Continental Road Attack and
has about 13K miles on it now.

I run the rear pressure low to increase the size of the contact patch
and reduce the rate of wear.  When I bought the bike, the rear tire
was worn out almost to the cords for about 1 inch out of the center,
with the lower pressures the flat spot is much wider and not nearly
as sharp on the edges.

For track use I would raise the rear tire pressure, but for street
the lower pressure seems to work fine.

Jim