Re: [ST] Tire Pressures

Could that be applied to a bike tire?  Good question.  I dunno.

My gut is telling me no.  Car tire tread area is pretty much flat across where a m/c tire is not.  So if you're riding straight up more than leaning the center will be hotter than the edges.  I've seen them take IR shots of F1 tires soon as they come off the car.  I've never seen them do that with the m/c tires at the races.

-----Original Message-----
From: st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Joel Ashman
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 10:36 PM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ST] Tire Pressures

On an interestingly related side bar, I just learned an interesting method
to set your tire pressure (on a car/truck).  Drive the vehicle for  30-60
minutes.  Then use a infrared spot thermometer and measure the temperature
across the width of the tire.  If the outside edges are hotter than the
inside of the tire, the pressure is too low. If the center of the tire is
hotter than the outside edges, then the pressure is to high.  If the center
temperature and the edge temperatures are within 2 degrees (or so) then the
pressure is just right.

Could this be applied to a bike tire?  Maybe.  I'd take a guess at
suggesting that if there is a high degree of change from the very center to
the outside of the tire, then the pressure is too high.  Maybe you might
look for 1-2 inches of similar temperatures, slightly declining as you go
out, to get a nice contact patch while slabbing it down the road.  Then
you'd expect a sudden drop off of temp as you get to the edges.

Fire at will!

-Joel